Saturday, December 03, 2011

Happiness Depends Upon Ourselves

"Happiness depends upon ourselves."

-Aristotle



Everyday we make choices. Everyday we make our own destiny. We decide whether or not we are happy. Simple as that. Period.

Well, unfortunately many people do no accept this as truth. So many times we try to blame our unhappiness on someone or something else other than ourselves. I call it the blame game. There is always something that is causing me to be unhappy. You name it. My car broke down. I lost my job. I can't pay my bill on time. My boyfriend is a slob. My girlfriend is always nagging me. I hate my job. I hate my boss. I have a pimple. My kids just broke my vase. My dog pissed on the floor. Someone stole my phone. Do you get the picture? The list could go on and on. What is your excuse, aahh hmmm... I mean reason for not being happy? Yes, all of these things suck. Some things really suck. But the point is we have to get over it and move on. There is so much more to life than trivial things. Is it really all that big of a deal? When we are focused on the bad and getting upset thinking "Why me?" or "This is just my luck" we are only asking for more of those things. The more we focus our energy into anger, fear, sadness, or worrying and just continue thinking about all the negative, then we are just asking the Universe for more of those "Why mes?" or "Just my luck" kind of circumstances.

The sooner we can change our feelings around the better. If we can turn our feelings around to happiness and try to be grateful for the things in our life that is going right, or the people who love us, or the things we have and posses. There are always so many reasons to be thankful, if you only change your thinking patterns around. So ask yourself, "What is causing me to be unhappy? Am I allowing this into my life? Is there anything I can do to change this?" Sometimes we allow things into our lives, and sometimes we have the power to change things. But then sometimes there are things that fall out of our hands, we have no hold on them, nor any control. And in these cases the best thing we can do is focus our energy on something else and let the Universe take care of things for us. If we choose to be happy regardless, then wonderful things are bound to happen. Things will turn around. Circumstances will change. If you only trust that everything will be alright no matter what happens. Ask yourself, "Is it really that big of a deal? Is this something I should allow myself to get upset about? Is this what I want to choose to focus my energy on?" And from there try to distract yourself. Do whatever it is that makes you happy. Get your mind off the problem. As long as you are focusing on the problem, nothing will change, and things will most likely get worse. Change your thinking and you will change your experiences.

Our happiness depends on ourselves. Do what you love to do. Do what makes you happy. Do what makes you feel good. Choose to be full of joy. There is so much to be happy for if we only open our eyes to see it. Enjoy each and every blessing in your life. Choose your thoughts and you will choose to be happy. Happiness depends on ourselves.

1 comment: